Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Space Museum

Today we decided to check out the Hong Kong Space Museum. It's that big round golf-ball dome. We've driven by it on the bus a few times, so I thought it might be something fun to do with the girls. I thought of doing it yesterday, but luckily I checked the website before we left the house, and it turns out it is closed on Tuesdays. But... it also said that Hong Kong museums have free admission on Wednesday. So... that was enough to convince me!
As it turns out, it was good it was free because it wasn't very exciting. It looks pretty cool from the outside, but inside the exhibits were pretty dated and boring. Annika was hoping to see dinosaurs, but I told her that it would be all about space, so then she was expecting to learn about planets. She really likes Saturn, and apparently Max and Ruby went to Mars (or was it Toopy and Binoo?), so I didn't realize, but she already knows a bit about planets. Well, there wasn't anything about planets, mostly it just focused on space crafts and astronauts. Really, it was just a small exhibit and the Alberta Museum is far more interactive in comparison. Upstairs there was an IMAX-type thing that you did have to pay to see, but when I inquired, the lady said that the program showing today isn't good for young children. And there was a big line-up to get in, so I wasn't seriously inquiring anyway. Just curious. Good to know...
We took another walk down the Avenue of Stars while I looked for a place to cross the street. Annika thought she'd like a picture with Fong Yin Fun's handprints.
Why don't my pictures center anymore? Anyway, I just read a fiction book called "The Piano Teacher" that takes place in Hong Kong during WWII. It was a good read. The Peninsula hotel was mentioned a lot as a place where the rich and influential gathered.

Leila fell asleep, and we discovered a lovely park for Annie to play in. I'm slowly getting acquainted with Tsim Sha Tsui area which is fairly close to where we live. The sun was really beating down on us, and we needed some cold drinks and chocolate to perk us up, and then we headed home.



This was Mike's first day today. I'm curious to hear how it went! He has 24 students, 12 girls and 12 boys. All I remember about grade 6 is learning about China, and now here we are and now he's teaching Alberta curriculum to grade 6 students. Crazy!
Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment