All I really know about pink dolphins, I know from Annika. She was the one who first told me about them, and I thought maybe she was referring to a cartoon or something that she'd heard about. But no, she really was on to something and she knew about it because someone in her class had actually seen these rare pink dolphins. Later she learned more about them at the science fair and told us that they are pink because they are living in water that isn't good for them. They should actually be white. So you can take a boat ride, but there's no guarantee that you'll actually see them.
On our boat ride we passed through all the houses on stilts. Leila slept through the whole thing.


It was scenic and fun (and hot and windy), but we didn't see any dolphins, and the driver didn't seem to concerned with making sure we did. Maybe they're only out at a certain time but they don't tell you that because they want your business. Who knows. It was a really inexpensive boat ride, and it was cool to see the stilt houses up close.
After we were in a little museum display and these people asked to have their picture taken with us. We obliged and then we gave them our camera, because why not have a picture of ourselves standing with strangers for our own records?!






The girls don't really care what we do, as long as there's a playground involved. When we told them that this is what we planned on doing for the day, the first thing Annika said was "will there be a playground?". Amazingly we always stumble upon them without even trying. Hong Kong does have a lot of playgrounds, and I'm a big fan of the rubber surface instead of sand or gravel.
This playground had a great view of the water, but then Mike took a picture from the other way, because the mountains in the background were pretty too.


Yum?

Always a temple to check out.
The girls don't really care what we do, as long as there's a playground involved. When we told them that this is what we planned on doing for the day, the first thing Annika said was "will there be a playground?". Amazingly we always stumble upon them without even trying. Hong Kong does have a lot of playgrounds, and I'm a big fan of the rubber surface instead of sand or gravel. This sweaty girl needed a bit of a break!
It can be a bit disheartening that when we get ourselves out to these places (this one was a taxi to the train, followed by a 45 minute bus ride), it seems we barely even scratch the surface of all there is to see and do when you're doing it with two young children. We always debate whether or not to bring the stroller. If we do, it means lugging it through all the public transportation, and looking for elevators and trying to squeeze through crowds and terrain that isn't stroller friendly. It's much easier to leave it at home, like we did yesterday. But then the girls get tired of walking, and of course when you have a stroller, there's a place to put all our stuff.
Oh well... it's just the season of life that we're in right now. But for those that are able, there is always lots of hiking and even more things to see at places like in Hong Kong like this one.
You're a great tour guide, Sarah! I'm so looking forward to visiting you all in HK. With 4 adults to 2 kids, we should be go to go!
ReplyDeleteSo... I'm morbidly curious about those little... critters?!? Mice? Rats? I can just picture Annika dangling one and saying all sing-songy, "oh Guss-ee! Look at this mou-ouse!" Eww. Gold star if one of you actually consumed one!
ReplyDeleteEW! No, I did not try whatever it is. I thought maybe they were frogs? It was hard to tell. I'm assuming something from the water, though... not mice or rats. Which reminds me that I had started a collection of photos for a little "Taste Of Hong Kong" post, but don't know where they went when our computer crashed. I should get back on that! You may lose your appetite, though...
ReplyDeleteI love how Annie always gets her "peace sign" in in every picture. Your girls are lovely. And, I can't believe how hot it looks there!
ReplyDelete