Thursday, September 1, 2011

Happy September!

Well Hello, September! I like September, I like fall, but I also always go into September with a feeling of dread that summer is over and winter is around the corner. This time, I'm feeling soooo happy that I won't have to endure a prairie winter. It's still really really hot, and if anything it will be nice if these next few months have a bit of a drop in temperature so we can really enjoy being outside.

As far as I know, Annika's second day of kindergarten went fine. I think I forgot to mention that only half the class went to school on Monday and Tuesday, and then the other half went on Wednesday and today, and then tomorrow everybody goes from here on in. So she's been at home the last two days. I decided yesterday that we should check out the Science museum on the recommendation of our neighbour. She said that it's much better than the Space museum, and her son Julian goes every weekend. Julian is ten and is a real character. We can often hear him practicing his oboe, and he's amazing at it. He says that he's designing a computer game with Tyranosaurus Rex robots and he'd like our girls to try it out when he's finished. Well, we'll humor him if that actually happens!
This museum was also free on Wednesdays, so since I had two grouchy girls on my hands, we ended up opting for afternoon naps and then went once Mike was home.
We found some Korean food for supper. It wasn't all that cheap, so I don't know if we'll go back, but I'm so proud of how adventurous Annika is at trying new foods! She really liked it. Leila... she could use some work on her "restaurant behavior", but she tried a bit of bolgogi.
Julian knows what he's talking about. The Science museum is waaaaay better than the Space museum. It was huge and there was lots to do. We didn't see it all, so we will have to go back sometime.


Not a very good picture, but this lever made bubbles... it was kind of neat.
And then today we had a playdate in the morning, and then in the afternoon I went for a long walk hoping that Leila would fall asleep in the stroller. I discovered an area that we hadn't been to before, as well as a big playground, so we went again with Mike after supper. When we were there in the afternoon it was empty except for one girl playing, and then two cleaning ladies. They were a sight to see with masks and long sleeves and an umbrella hat contraption. I should have had my camera with me! They had buckets of water and and cleaners and were washing and scrubbing down the whole playground! I couldn't believe how much time they spent on one of the slides. How comforting to know that my kids would be playing on such a clean playground! Anyway, when we went back in the evening it was crowded and full of life! And not so clean anymore..

Annie wanted a picture with her favorite inflatable toys that are sold at this stand.
Watching the action at the playground.
A new "non-Chinese" playmate. We were surprised to see that there were lots of kids and adults at this playground who seemed to be from India or Pakistan. Maybe they live in the housing complex near it?
And some good news is that it turns out that teaching grade 6 (in Mike's option) is indeedy easier than teaching music, band and a million other subjects! Hooray! Tomorrow the head of the board (sound familiar?) is wine-ing (I don't know...maybe?) and dining the new teachers. They first go visit his cookware factory and then go for a fancy meal. Sadly, we have no babysitters anymore (oh how we miss Grandma and Grandpa!) so I will be eating mac and cheese at home with the girls. But if I'm lucky, I may get some new cookware out of the deal. We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. It looks like Hong Kong has so much to offer for families!! Logan saw these pictures and wants to visit. Also glad to hear that Mike's having an "easier" time with grade 6 and that you're getting to know people. So many prayers answered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see how teaching one grade would be less to juggle. I'm glad for Mike! Also, so interested in the playground cleaning (like, actually). Does that happen ever here at any of our playgrounds? I've never seen it ...

    ReplyDelete