Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Almost Famous

While we were at Stanley a couple of weeks ago, we were shopping in the market and were approached by a woman. She asked us if we were tourists, and I told her that we had just moved here. She said her name was Elaine, and she was from "Nicolas & Bears", and was interested in Leila as a model. I recognized that name as an upscale children's clothing boutique that I've seen in malls, so it sounded legit. In fact, here's a link to the store. Elaine was wondering if Leila could model their clothing for pictures in an upcoming catalogue and told us the photos would be featured on billboards across Hong Kong and China! I asked if it paid, and she said that actually it didn't, that we would be given store credit or coupons. She then asked if Leila is easy to manage. Hmmmm... has anyone else noticed that I post probably double the pictures of Annika to Leila? I'm not trying to play favorites... it's more a reflection of who is more cooperative! We tried to skirt the issue and showed her Annika and said that she would be a good model (she may be shy, but not in front of the camera!). Elaine then said that at this time they were looking for younger children. So... we exchanged numbers and she took a couple of pictures of Leila with her phone, and amazingly, Leila gave her a big "CHEESE!".
Since then, I hadn't heard anything, so I assumed that nothing would come of this, but then curiosity got the best of me, so the other day I sent her a text wondering if she was still interested in having Leila as a model. She replied back that she was, but shooting won't be happening until January/February, so she'll contact me in December to start fittings.
Interesting... so...
Will she actually contact us?
Is this really worth it? Will there be store credit, or just a 10% off coupon? It might be more hassle than it's worth.
would Leila actually cooperate when push comes to shove?
How exactly would the photos be used?
Your guess is as good as mine- I'll keep you posted!
But it makes a good story, no? Next time you're in China, look for Leila's face on a billboard!

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Cool story, even if nothing comes of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of Leila in your blog looks as if she's demurely posing on purpose already. Maybe she would cooperate. Great story to tell her when she's grown up.

    ReplyDelete