Friday, April 26, 2013

Last night on the Podium...

Okay, I spend too much time perusing other (mostly the DIY-type) blogs and am way too lazy to keep up this one. Why haven't I posted about Guilin? Just laziness, and also such an overwhelming number of photos that I'm not really sure what to do with them all. FB is such an easy option in that regard. It was such an amazing trip, so I don't really know where to begin. 
I just personally appreciate the record of looking back at our past few months and see what we did, what the weather was like, how much the girls have changed and grown, etc. so even though it might just be the mundane, I'm going to try to post a little more often. 


 Anyway, continue to enjoy the extra space around Tsing Yi. The bugs have suddenly come out in full force and I got eaten alive when we were at Tsing Yi Park this week, so instead we've been opting to just head to the podium where the bugs don't bother us. 
 A peaceful evening...



 Hold on, Leila! This guy pushes fast!
 Kids in Hong Kong often have some kind of a towel tucked in the back of their shirt. We think it's to mop up their sweat. As depicted in the pictures above and below you can even get a variety of animal versions of the design. My friend's son recently asked if he, too, could have a towel tucked in the back of his shirt. Guess that's what it takes to fit in around here!:)


 Such concentration!
By the way, is "podium" a Hong Kong word, or were we just unaware of the various meanings the word can have? Because the definition that Mike and I both had in our head of what a "podium" was compared to what it is here are two different things. We had no idea what Mr. Yip was always talking about while apartment shopping during our first few days here. Basically it's the common outdoor area, usually on the third (sixth in our case) floor that links up all the towers of the estate. Our new estate has twelve towers (all 51 stories high!), so the podium is pretty big and has little garden paths and seating areas, a big and a small playground, and it's where you access the clubhouse. Farm Road didn't really have one because it was just a single story building, but bigger estates always do.  
Anyway, fun times on the podium!

2 comments:

  1. Nothing mundane about this posting. Always love a little peak into your life in HK and to see how the girls are growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "podium" concept is sure a good invention! It looks like your family has made really good use of it. I wonder how the towels that are tucked into kids' t-shirts can stay in place while kids are playing. It looks more like a backwards bib but if the kids don't mind, it's good. Thanks for all the great pictures -- beautiful!

    ReplyDelete