Once we got to Bohol, Uncle Ma-Eng- our personal hired driver for the day picked us up at the pier. This is not a picture of the vehicle he drove us in all day. This is a "jeepny" that is basically larger than a taxi and smaller than a bus. It is all open air and you enter the jeepny from the back I believe.
Another jeepny loaded to the max. "Hold on!"
After about a 40 minute drive through winding roads we arrived at the tarsier sanctuary. "Hold on!"These little guys are kind of cute and kind of strange looking. But very small and peaceful.
Annika trying to get a closer look at the tarsier. "But that's Mommy with the camera!"
There were lots of concrete steps to walk up and down to get around this sanctuary of tarsiers. There were several tarsiers that we saw throughout our time there. I'd say at least a dozen. And there were dozens of people taking pictures with the tarsiers, of the tarsiers, and around the tarsiers.
Someone even took a picture of us in the same vicinity of the tarsiers.
This was on the way from the tarsiers to the Chocolate Hills. This is a man-made forest of mahogany trees. It really reminded us of Canada. There's lots of mahogany forests in Canada. All over the place. Just kidding - but the look and feel of the forrest reminded us of Canada.
See what I mean?
And here's a field of rice. Also, just like Canada.
Some rice drying on the side of the road. A cow sidestepping the rice.
Here's that cow I was talking about.
Ahhh - the famous Chocolate Hills!
We had to hike up one of the hills to take in the scenery.
Did I mention it was kind of sunny out? A really beautiful day. It looked like it was maybe going to rain earlier in the day, but the rain held off for the day.
The view from the other side of the hill. There in the corner of the picture is the restaurant we had great lunch at.
I forgot to mention - the reason they are called "Chocolate Hills" is because in the summer they are brown. So they look like chocolate. We were there when they were a healthy green.
"I can't believe they're not made of chocolate!"
"I can."
A little place etched into the side of the hill for the Catholic pilgrims.
The Janzens feeling pretty fed up after having our lunch at the restaurant. Our nice driver took this picture.
It was quite the hurried drive back to the pier to catch our ferry. We managed to board the ferry within minutes of it taking off. A little too close for comfort for us, but our driver seemed to be really confident that he'd get us there on time. Even though he kept suggesting more touristy things for us to see on our drive back to the pier!
"We love you Pacific Ocean blue
Yeah we love you Pacific Ocean Blue
Oh we love you Pacific Ocean Blue
Oh we love you Pacific Ocean Blue
It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue." - Dennis Wilson of "The Beach Boys"







A few observations....your resort looks fantastic...and empty, which is even better, you guys look lovely and brightly coloured, tarsiers look like yoda, the forest in Canada is currently brown and cold and snowy, not so green and lush (but we can dream of summer days), the chocolate hills are very cool, and Leila's short hair is rather sweet. Thanks for sharing! I look forward to part 3.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm afraid of tarsiers. But I really liked that cow on the side of the road!
ReplyDeleteAmazing pictures!
Also: I like the Beach Boys lyrics. Nice touch.
ReplyDelete