"I used to think Christmas was just about presents and Christmas trees. Now, I think it's about Jesus. And presents. And Christmas trees." ~ Annika, December 2011
I don't know if anybody missed me, but seems I've taken a bit of a hiatus this month from blogging. Partly because our computer crashed, and then it took another few days once it was going again to install the new iPhoto. And then partly due to a lack of motivation and just keeping busy with various Christmas activities. But I wanted to at least write one last post before we leave for Bali tomorrow.
Christmas has been different this year. I was actually relieved at first to take a step back from the craziness that is Christmas in Canada, and have things be really simple. I didn't even think I wanted a tree since our place is so small. But then the girls asked for one, and I realized that it still is important to make Christmas special for them. So while Annika was at her ballet lesson, I picked up a rather homely little artificial tree. The girls don't even know the difference! We can't believe how expensive real trees are here. You can get them at places like Ikea, and they even deliver. Since our friends are also all far from home, it seems like lots of them splurged on real trees to make their places feel Christmas-y, but even a really tiny one is about $65. They can easily cost over $100. And they don't necessarily even look that nice! Our little one cost about $10, and came in a pretty small box that we can store away for next year.
(decorating with precision)
(Christmas crafts, and some Christmas decor sent to us by Grandma Ruth)
(our tree and stockings hung on the bookcase with care. I soooo regret not bringing our stockings- they would have been easy to pack, and I love ours so much- they are probably my favourite decoration)
Since we were lacking in Christmas decor, I invested in the Playmobil nativity scene (it is an investment- Playmobil is not cheap!). I was just so happy to find it here, and Leila has played with it every single day. There have been some interesting story lines that have come out of it and it keeps me entertained. The little butterfly decoration on the tree is actually a cell phone ornament that an elderly lady passed to Leila while we were on the bus one day. We have presents under the tree from Grandma Ruth, Grandma and Grandpa Janzen, Auntie Rita & Uncle Steve, and Grandpa Erwin. So thankful that they have been willing to pay so much for postage so we'll have some things to open from home on Christmas Eve. Or Day. We're not sure when we will actually celebrate since we get back from Bali on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.


We enjoyed Annika's kindergarten Christmas concert. Since there are five kindergarten classes, the kindergarten program gets a concert all to themselves. Annika was in the "choir" and knew the actions to all the songs. That's an improvement from her participation last year! The kids behind her are spelling out GOSPEL, not GO as it may appear.
If you want to know what paparazzi looks like, picture 75 sets of Chinese parents of kindergarten students. I've never seen so many camera and video cameras in my life! They all stood up and congregated in the middle of the gym, and no one could see anything, so they were told to sit down and there would be photo opts at the end. Annika and her friends then had a great time posting for pictures! Japanese, Chinese, Canadian, Indian... I love what an international experience she's having!

This season of advent has been a good mix of Christmas activities, but not feeling overly busy. I don't think Mike missed being in charge of a school Christmas concert even one little bit. That definitely made things less stressful this month. I'm so glad that there have been Christmas festivities that have happened or we'd be feeling more homesick. Mostly we just feel guilty that we won't be home for Christmas. Also, we have been thinking of those who may be finding Christmas to be a difficult time this year. You are in our prayers.

Our church had a live Christmas nativity called 'One Starry Night'. It was packed with people, and although not as elaborate as the one at WECA was, the girls still enjoyed themselves. I was happy to discover that their Christmas outfits from last year still fit!
If you want to know what paparazzi looks like, picture 75 sets of Chinese parents of kindergarten students. I've never seen so many camera and video cameras in my life! They all stood up and congregated in the middle of the gym, and no one could see anything, so they were told to sit down and there would be photo opts at the end. Annika and her friends then had a great time posting for pictures! Japanese, Chinese, Canadian, Indian... I love what an international experience she's having!We wish you all a Merry Christmas, and may peace be unto you this Christmas season.
Great post! Nice to see the bit of Christmas decor brightening up your place!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you posted! I missed reading about your adventures. :) Hope you are all having a great time in Bali, and Merry Christmas! (we got a fake tree this year too, but a bit bigger than yours. :)
ReplyDeleteYou all were DEFINITELY missed this Christmas! Glad to see that you had a wonderful season.
ReplyDeleteAnd you should make a book full of Annika quotes.
Um, I love the Playmobil nativity set. That's ridiculously cool. Also multi-culturalism. Your kids are going to be set to be world changers when they grow up!
ReplyDelete