

To get to Lamma, we took the Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to HK Island, and from there a half hour ferry to Lamma Island. Luckily we didn't need to use the Vomit Bag, but at one point I thought I may! The ferry bounced on the waves several times catching air and causing gasps and many a "whoa!" from passengers aboard. Annika said her tummy felt like it was on an airplane.
We liked the looks of Lamma Island immediately when we got off the boat and saw only bikes lined up. You just don't see that in Kowloon!
I snuck a picture of this local hippy, but on our way back I ended up checking out the books and DVDs he was selling and chatting with him a bit. He was really nice, but I couldn't understand all that he was saying... something about that it's good I still read books because Kindles won't work if there is a nuclear fallout... and George Bush is the reason for all that is wrong with the world... Also, there were dogs on the loose everywhere. Luckily they weren't scary... they mostly looked alright.



A nice terrace outside someone's home. It was refreshing to see something different than high-rise apartments. There is actually a teacher at Mike's school who lives on Lamma Island with his wife- they have adult children who lives elsewhere. He's been at the school for 15 years or something, and he's always lived on Lamma. It takes him an hour and 40 minutes to get to school every day! Mike leaves the house at 7:10 and has a five minute walk. We thought the island was great and talked about how great it would be to move there, but I can't imagine having such a long commute every day!
Where are we? Hong Kong? Bali? Wolsely? Nelson, BC? Canmore Folk Festival? Salt Spring Island (I wouldn't know... still haven't been there... one day!)?
Definitely the biggest spider we've ever seen in natural habitat. I wouldn't have even noticed it if there hadn't been a little crowd gathered around it taking pictures.



There's a pretty path that leads you from where we got off the ferry to the south point of the island where you can take another ferry back to Central. The walk is supposed to take 90 minutes. We just walked part of the way and then turned around and took the ferry from the way we came. If it was just the two of us, we would have gladly walked the trail, but compared to the last time we lived overseas, we have to do things a. lot. differently when there are two young children with you at all times.
The beach! It's located between the two ports and was pretty nice. There was a really nice restaurant overlooking it that looked like a wonderful place to have a meal and drink.


Once again, Hong Kong has surprised us in how varied it is! I wasn't sure what to expect at Lamma, but it was a great daytrip. It's so different than Kowloon where we live!


Above picture is a temple, and the streets full of restaurants, jewellery shops, little grocery stores, beach accessories.
Definitely the biggest spider we've ever seen in natural habitat. I wouldn't have even noticed it if there hadn't been a little crowd gathered around it taking pictures.(Another little offering to the gods.)


These motorized vehicles are the only kind on the island.
haha - Wolseley... it does kinda share some features, huh? I'm glad the dogs were not nasty like the TJ perros!
ReplyDeleteThis looks GREAT! I like hippies too.
ReplyDelete